Court of Protection Applications

Once someone is deemed to have lost mental capacity and can no longer make their own decisions, they are not able to make Lasting Powers of Attorney.

If an individual loses mental capacity without having Lasting Powers of Attorney in place and they have even the simplist of assets above state benefits, authority to give someone the legal right to manage their affairs can only be granted by the Court of Protection. 

If you wish to act on behalf of a loved-one or friend who has lost mental capacity and has no Lasting Power of Attorney in place, you should apply to the Court of Protection to become their Deputy. 

Anyone can make their own application to the Court to become a Deputy.  More information is available through their website at  You should be aware that a Deputyship application can be a complicated and time-consuming process.

If you do not have the confidence or ability to make a Deputyship application yourself,  Allied Services Trust has professionally trained staff who can help you by drafting the documents for you.  We do charge a fee, but only to over our overheads on a not-for-profit basis so we are affordable.  We offer charitable discounts for those cases where the person you are applying to become deputy for has an income below £12,000 per annum, and offer further reductions if they are in receipt of exempting benefits.

For those who have do not have family or friends willing or able to act as their deputy, Allied Services Trust can in some cases apply to become a Court of Protection appointed Deputy.